On November 2nd, 2020, the Global Commission was pleased to host a panel at the Internet Governance Forum titled “Cyberstability Stocktaking of Norms and Institutional Dialogues.”
Video (starts at 12:50)
GSCS Co-Chair Latha Reddy gave a general overview of where the GCSC is now, and touched upon the future direction of the initiative. Abdul-Hakeem Ajijola introduced the GCSC’s cyberstability framework and multistakeholder engagements. Khoo Boon Hui touched upon the GCSC’s cyberstability definition and our principles. Then, Frédérick Doucet and Christopher Painter detailed the GSCS’s eight proposed norms.
Following the presentations by the GCSC commissioners, we were honored to be joined by several experts who provided briefings on the status of norms in international cyber frameworks and initiatives. These experts were:
- Ambassador Jürg Lauber, Chair of the UN Open-Ended Working Group
- Ambassador Guilherme de Aguiar Patriota, Chair of the UN Group of Governmental Experts
- Ambassador Heli Tiirmaa Klaar, Ambassador at Large for Cyber Diplomacy, Estonian Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Ambassador Regine Grienberger, Cyber Ambassador, Federal Foreign Office of Germany
- Romain Rideau, Ministry for Europe and Foreign Affairs of France
- Gaurav Keerthi, Deputy Chief Executive of the Cyber Security Agency (CSA) of Singapore
These experts provided a wide array of insights into the status of norm formulation in the leading forums for cyber norms.